Monday, September 26, 2011

My Recipe Binder

I love all things organizational in nature, so it's really no surprise that I keep my recipes very organized so that they are easy to find.  Don't get me wrong, even though I have a recipe binder, I am also a die hard collector of recipe books.  The key reason I keep a recipe binder is so that I have a place to collect and store recipes I have found while browsing online, ripped out of magazines and even better it's a place I can collect some of my family favourites that have been passed down from earlier generations. 

As you'll see my recipe binder looks a bit disorganized as sheets of paper are different sizes, some are typed out, some printed out ... but I love it!  For some reason it gives the book an authentic vibe sorta as though I have scored all resources for the recipes.

I started off with a 1 1/2 inch ring binder.  I purchased the type that had a see-through cover, so that I could include a fun title page & spine.  I downloaded this Recipe Binder template via the Internet.  I love it!




Next I purchased page protectors to protect each page & recipe.  I find this so useful as usually I don't like to have my entire binder on my counter top while I'm cooking as it takes up a lot of room.  This gives me the freedom of removing pages and not worrying about spoiling the recipes with spilt milk & loose flour.

I also purchased tabbed dividers for my recipe binder.  I browsed a couple cookbooks at first to find out how cookbooks are easily divided, and I also thought about my recipe database & things I enjoy cooking.  Taking both into account, I had settled on the below categories.

  • Appetizers

  • Sides (this can incorporate salads, vegetable dishes, etc.)

  • Pasta & Rice

  • Main Dishes

  • Family Favourites

  • Breakfast

  • Breads

  • Drinks

  • Desserts

  • Holiday!
    I used alphabet stamps for the first letter on each tab and hand wrote the rest of the word.


  • Here are some pictures of how I've laid out my recipes within my recipe binder.

    Recipes ripped from newspapers & magazines

    Handwritten while cooking with my mom.

    I have even taken photos of recipes in magazines at Chapters

    I love to add comments of my own

    Printed off websites

    Family favourites handwritten for me!  This one is from my dad of my favourite sandwich - the Monte Cristo!

    Sometimes I highlight ingredients I might not buy on a consistent basis.  That way I will be reminded of key ingredients while creating my grocery list.

    I love recipes from a magazine, the colors really help you re-create the dish

    Post-it notes for quick & easy recipes

    Do you have any ways of how you like to organize your recipes? 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment