Saturday, August 6, 2011

Decluttering my Magazines (My Style Scrapbook)

About 4 years ago, I realized that my collection of about 250+ magazines (all fashion, fitness or celebrity gossip) was getting to be a bit too much for my tiny bedroom.  They were taking up too much space and collecting dust.  I hate throwing out magazines as I feel as though I'm going to want to go through them at some point to look at all the gorgeous pictures of fashion trends & possible outfits I want to try.  And even though I love the look of stacked magazines, it just doesn't make sense for my lifestyle of living at home.  So I decided to start a 'Style' scrapbook!  :) 

I took a basic black notebook and added a cutout of the word Style to the front so I would know what the notebook contained.


(unfortunately the Y is missing)

Then I spent hours upon hours going through my collection of magazines to find all the photos I wanted to keep forever.  Of course I mean keep forever in one concise place rather than piles & piles of magazines.  The best part of my Style Scrapbook is that I can keep adding to it AND I can open it up at any time and get style inspiration!  This works best for me on a morning when I find myself without any energy or time to think of the dread 'what should I wear today?' question.

Here are a couple pictures of my favourite pages within my Style Scrapbook.  Enjoy!








Sorry about the lighting, I'm using my BlackBerry camera...
For me, my Style scrapbook works!  But I know other bloggers who have been successful at keeping magazines organized in magazine holders ....
... or even cutting out full magazine pages and putting them in plastic wrap holders & then into a binder.  I find this specific organizational tactic very helpful for my recipes that I either find online, are family favourites or found in magazines.  I plan to blog about my recipe binder in a future post.

Just a quick side note.  I was on Running on Happiness' blog (http://runningonhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/07/current-style-obsessions.html) this week and feel in love with a dress from Windsor Store. 


GREAT NEWS: It's affordable @ only $39.90 USD!!!
BAD NEWS: When you add in shipping & duties it comes to almost $100 USD.

Worth it?


2 comments:

  1. oh. my. gosh. i do that too!!! i can't bear to just throw my magazines in the recycling bin, so i go through each one and i cut out stuff i find interesting. i put mine in a clear plastic envelope, but perhaps i should get a notebook and stick them on so i get to see all my cutouts. ;)

    as for the dress, hmmm $100? you can probably find something similar somewhere else? but i guess if you really love it, then go for it. :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Illuminated in PinkAugust 8, 2011 at 12:34 PM

    Hi Mimi! :)
    I love having one place to go to in order to give me fashion inspirations! Do you have a picture of how you keep yours? I always love seeing how others organize!
    Thanks for the comment! Checking out your blog too!

    ReplyDelete